Spring is the time of year when sellers and buyers gird up for what has traditionally been the most important season for buying or selling a home. Following are some ways to prepare:
Sellers should be aware that there’s a lot of competition for buyers in the spring. That means sellers should do everything possible to differentiate their home from others, including the following:
- Polish windows and floors, rake the yard, mow the lawn, and add flowers in containers.
- Wash blinds and curtains and have carpeting cleaned.
- If a seller has spent the winter renovating to sell, new pictures should be taken to show the renovated space to best advantage. Be sure to add the new information to the feature sheets and advertising of real estate agents.
- Consign dark linens and towels to storage and add bright or pastel accents in baths and bedrooms.
- Buyers should have a good idea of what they want, how much they can spend and the neighbourhoods they’re interested in. Buyers should also:
- Have a network of experts in place, such as a real estate agent, lawyer, home inspector and mortgage broker.
- Obtain a copy of their credit report, and if there are errors, clear them up.
- Decide before shopping for a home the most they’re prepared to pay, and resist the urge to pay more.